The only things that matter to a startup
6 Easy Pieces from Tycoons and Magnates
- Product/Market Fit — Marc Andreessen
- "The #1 company-killer is lack of market."
- Founder/Market Fit — Chris Dixon
- Have "a deep understanding of the market [you] are entering".
- "Personify [your] product, business, and ultimately [your] company."
- Consistent Growth — Paul Graham
- Aim for 5-7% week-over-week growth in your key metric.
- Key Metric - people really using your product — Josh Elman
- Define what constitutes "really using".
- Count how many people are doing that.
- Compass Metric - Tobi Lutke
- Guide and align the whole team toward the compass metric.
- Drive toward it with frequent performance reports and reviews.
- The Metric of Your Life - Clayton Christensen
- Choose your key business metric as a subset of the metric by which you measure your life.
- This will help you avoid getting caught up in marginal thinking or on local maxima.